[EDI-L Mailing List Archive Home] [Message List] [Reply To This Message]

"suspicious websites"

From: "Larry Pieniazek" <lar@...>
Date: Sun Sep 11, 2005  9:27 pm
Subject: "suspicious websites"
Stephanie, and everyone else... A little due diligence goes a long way.
Don't believe every warning you get... While I think caution is always a
good idea, I think that in this particular case, it may be misplaced, and
further, presence on this widely disseminated list of suspicious sites does
this particular site a very great disservice. A quick review of the site
itself will show that it's a wiki and that hundreds of volunteers are
involved.

While these things can be faked, those of you that know wikis know that in
this case it would be hard since anyone can edit them. The mailing lists
associated with this effort to collect and consolidate info from the many
(TOO many, which is the problem this site is trying to solve... Silos of
information that aren't connected, duplicated effort, difficult to query...
Does it sound familiar at all???) different websites with survivor/missing
info have many many participants, also a hard thing to fake.

The notice that Stephanie refers to is from 1 September. Since then (10 days
ago, a long time as things move with respect to this disaster) the
katrinahelp.com site has reformatted over 400,000 survivor records (again,
with the help of hundreds if not thousands of volunteer data entry people,
and dozens of intrepid coders who have developed screen scraping and data
transformation code to automate what could be automated) and supplied them
to the ICRC (Red Cross) db and to other dbs as necessary. The hosting and
backend database is now being provided by salesforce.com's charitable
foundation.

The donation request was to cover the hosting costs of the site itself, and
no claim was ever made for anything different. I donated 10 bucks, which is
not much compared to what I donated to the relief efforts themselves... It
was a worthwhile risk at the time, and one that I think paid off.

So, caution is a good thing but in this case... ...in my view...
...misplaced.

Do your own due diligence, of course. But if you have data transformation
skills, and want to help, this IS something worth investigating. Save your
money, though, monetary donations are not needed any more.

Hope that helps.

It should be noted that all of the above is my personal opinion, based on my
involvement with the project and is not to be construed as official IBM
opinion, advice, or recommendations.

Larry Pieniazek
Work mail: lpieniaz at us.ibm.com
Client mail: lpieni at acxiom.com (current client, may change)